Monday, July 28, 2008

Signing In: My pregnancy at 27 weeks...

So I realize that in my last two posts I kind of got long-winded. I would like to pardon myself with the excuse that I (we) just feel so passionate about having our preferences honored when it comes to this birth. In any event, if all that medical blather got kind of tiresome, my apologies.

It IS nice to have the record of what we are going through though. Tonight for the first time since I started this blog, I went back and read a lot of the earlier entries. What amazes me most is how quickly everything has gone by - and especially how fast this baby has been growing inside of me. I canNOT believe, for instance, that the baby was ever "just" an inch. (At 27 weeks now, he is apparently about 14.5 inches long and 2 pounds in weight!) It is also nice that all the queasiness and morning sickness is long behind me. That was something I thought I would never get past.

This week actually marks my entry into the third trimester, so sadly, my "honeymoon trimester" is apparently behind me now. In contrast to the second trimester, which is supposed to be the easiest, the third trimester is said to be difficult again, because the baby will be growing very quickly, and this is naturally associated with lots of new pains and discomforts.

We calculated that with only three more months to go, VJ should probably gain roughly 2 pounds per month until October! That means this month he will double in size. (Assuming that he will be around 8 pounds at birth)

And, of course, given all the growth, I too am getting bigger faster! Today I am wearing a preggers blouse that I only bought, it seems, a few weeks ago, but it is already almost too tight and uncomfortable. I barely got to wear the dang thing! Same goes for a couple of pairs of slacks I bought, originally thinking I was NEVER going to fit into those things. How I was really wrong on that one! Now, in only a few weeks, they have gotten unbelievably too too tight - which makes me kind of sad (ahhh, sigh).

Along with getting bigger, I have also slowed down ALOT. Last Friday, I tried hiking a trail that I used to hit at the beginning of this pregnancy in an effort to stay in shape. It is unbelievable how the trail seems so much steeper and daunting now. It really was a challenge to climb the hills - I had to take it very slowly and psyche myself out with all kinds of mind games in order to get over them this time around.

So, that is about all that is new for now. In less than two weeks we will have another OB visit - this time with a mid-wife. Our hope is that she will be a little more open to our wishes for less intervention than our OB has been. Since she is affiliated with the hospital though, we have been warned that she might be a "MED-wife" as opposed to the type of MID-wife that we are really hoping for...

No comments: