Saturday, August 9, 2008

Dodgey Stomach and General Gripes and Complaints

This week - Week 28 - was a bit rough. For the first time in the pregnancy I got a bit ill and, as my mom says, I "fed the fish." (Although since I wasn't on a boat when it happened this time, I guess I fed the septic tank) Anyway, it happened the evening after we had gone to a Dodgers game, sat in the sun for several hours, and eaten a "world famous" Dodger Dog. (Great game by the way, Dodgers kicked some Arizona behind and we got to see the new player, Manny Ramirez, score his second Homer at the Dodgers Stadium.) After the game we went to Korean, which is basically what got fed to the porcelain gods. (Trust me, after this recent experience, I won't be eating Korean food for a very VERY long time.)

After a difficult Sunday night, I had a hard time keeping food down for about the next 12 hours. Fortunately I never risked getting dehydrated, and started feeling a little better the next day. We had an appointment with the mid-wife on Tuesday and were able to hear that the baby's heart beat was still nice and strong - so, apparently - hopefully - no damage there. (Throwing up is pretty common for pregger ladies anyway, right?)

Still, I was feeling kind of nauseous for the rest of the week - until about Thursday. I also caught some kind of bug/cold that had me sleeping a lot this week also. I only started feeling "normal" (as normal as a pregnant woman in her 3rd trimester can feel, right?) again on Friday.

VJ has been kicking a lot, so we know he is getting along well in my ever-expanding, cushy yet tumultuous stomach. As for me, putting aside all the excitement of my Dodgey stomach, sore throats, and excessive nasal drip, I definitely felt a difference in size and my general "well-being" this week. For the first time in the pregnancy, it has been getting hard for me to turn over in bed, and when I lay on my right side, my stomach can begin to ache as the weight of the baby seems to tug quite strenuously on my chest. When I get up from laying on my left side, the area between my rib cage and heart seems to ache. To try to diffuse some of the pressure, I have been putting a pillow under my belly/baby so that it doesn't fall so far/pull so hard in order to reach the bed.

I want to say that I enjoy being pregnant, but this week has definitely challenged me in ways that make it hard to be properly gushy and enthusiastic. I try to remind myself that we are really lucky - the pregnancy has been relatively smooth and healthy. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to having my body back all to myself in a few months.

No comments: