Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Kicker of the Week!

During the last two weeks, VJ has started to let his Mom and Dad know that he is definitely alive ... and Kicking. His kicks have become very noticeable now - and even Dad has had the opportunity to feel one, rather rare, emphatic thud from the boy while we were relaxing and watching TV the other night. (Note: The picture here is not my belly! I lifted it from this photo contest. Gotta at least give the props)

The kicking is rather irregular now, but for the past week, I have definitely felt the little tyke pound around in my stomach at least once a day. Sometimes the kicks (and/or arm movements?) feel more like bubbles of gas in my tummy, or like nervous butterflies. Other times though, his movements are very discernible and strong. I feel a soft pounding on the inside of my tummy in very even-paced, rhythmic patterns. Apparently the movement won't be regular yet for another couple of weeks. For now, I tend to feel them right when I wake up, before I eat, and right before bed. Also about a couple of other times during the day, he does squirm around in there to let me know he's awake.

When I told my girlfriend recently that he never kicks when I am ready for him to, she said that is because the little guy has showmanship. Sometimes when I am reading or otherwise preoccupied, I'll feel him squirming around, so I'll stop to enjoy the moment. But when I stop everything to feel him move, he stops everything TOO! Then when I move on and become distracted once again, he decides it is now an appropriate time for him to "move on" and start kicking me again. What a tease he is!!

This is definitely one of the upsides of being pregnant. Whenever he kicks or pounds on me, I just feel this giant, immense wave of affection toward the little creature. Scott has mentioned that he feels a little bit envious of the new bond that VJ and I share, because he doesn't get to be a direct part of. He said he wonders if VJ is going to be a "Mama's boy" because we are getting to share more and more these days - exchanging body movements, stomach poundings, and, well, eating and sleeping schedules... (I don't think Scott has anything to worry about that though - I can already tell that he is going to be one big, doting, loving and protective Papa)

No comments: