Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Visit to the Doctor

Today I had an appointment at the student health center. They took a test and confirmed that, yes, I AM pregnant.

Apparently I have to find a obstetrician somewhere outside of the student clinic - but my student health insurance works at the UCLA Hospital. I feel good about that - it is one of the top 3 medical schools in the country, so the treatment I'll get there will be very advanced, I'm sure. I have other options too, apparently, perhaps even Cedars Sinai, although, despite the big name, I'm not very interested. How inconvenient - so far away (Ugh, that traffic!!!!)...

SO I guess the next step is to get me a doctor. This is actually trickier than it seems, because Pops and I actually aren't 100% sure if we will be in LA in about 4 months, or in HB. It really depends on whether he can find a transfer up here or not.

In the meantime, the doctor I saw today informed me (provided my ensuing health care giver agrees), I can have 1 cup of decaf a day, exercise all I want - except I should exchange hot yoga classes for prenatal yoga classes- and, well, in general, I can do do anything that makes me happy - as long as it's in moderation, of course. (obviously that disincludes my former meth habit! - JK again).

In the first trimester, if a person is going to have a miscarriage, it will happen no matter what she does - within reason). One cup of coffee or soda a day is not going to ruin things. Nor will jogging or bicycling, she said. Later on, when it comes to exercise, it will be more of a matter of balance and making sure the extra weight doesn't make me fall.

No comments: