Monday, March 17, 2008

feeling good, feeling awful

This week-end I experienced the worst and best feelings I've had since this whole thing began. Still haven't gotten sick yet (sick sick, I mean), so that is good at least. Scott and I went to a diner for brunch Saturday, and I ordered some chicken soup with matzo balls. Nothing else looked good and I was feeling pretty queasy, so I went with the plainest food I saw on the menu. In the end, I couldn't stomach more than two or three bites, and I ended up eating all of Scott's omelet instead. (What a sweet nice guy!) Fortunately, he liked my soup though. This sounds pretty mundane, I realize, but it is really difficult to describe in detail how I wanted to run out of that diner screaming mad because I felt so nauseated by the whole ordeal... And then, the crummy mood/feelings continued pretty much all day until yesterday morning. After the soup episode, Scott and I tried to go for a walk, but it was so cold and windy, and I already felt wretched, so I immediately told Scott I wanted to go home, NOW!!

Yup, I guess this pretty boring stuff. But now that I am in the middle of being sick and feeling really gross, cranky, and fat all the time, I can't believe there are going to be at least 8 more months of this. Of course, I'm truly delighted about the little tyke, of course! But, man, I didn't know how hard this stuff (dealing with morning sickness and watching your stomach balloon out uncontrollably) would necessarily be...

On the bright side, yesterday, I felt great. I tried some B6 pills for the first time, and then Scott and I went to the beach to exercise. He ran and I rode my bike (we separated) for an hour, and it was the first time I felt like I wasn't even pregnant. Exercise generally helps the sickness, but the amazing thing yesterday was that I continued to feel pretty good all day yesterday - the whole entire day. I had much more energy that usual too.

Well that was just about the most banal blog posting that I've written so far, but in sum that is the state of my progress. Getting bigger by the day, and learning about the wonders of vitamins. I really recommend B6 to all cranky sickly pregnant women out there - just be careful to watch your dosage. (I read last night that there is such a thing as B6 toxicity, which can result in numbness and nerve damage for mom and potential harm for the baby.) I'm going to make sure to limit my intake to no more than 50 mg per day - and only on days when I'm not feeling well.

Anyhoo, next time, I'll write about trying to find a good OB/hospital.

No comments: