Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I stand corrected - 6 weeks old

I figured out that I was one week off when calculating how old the little embryo was in my oven. Three days ago when I wrote the first blog, I thought that the bugger was 4 weeks old, but apparently that was wrong. It WAS 5 weeks.

But just recently (yesterday), we entered week No. 6. So I have some updates on its progress. The baby IS almost looking something like the picture I posted on Sunday. According to babycenter.com,

The nose, mouth, and ears are beginning to take shape. If we could see into my uterus, we'd find an oversize head and dark spots where the baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. Its emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and its arms and legs by protruding buds. Her heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as Mom's — and blood is beginning to course through its body. Her intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to her lungs has appeared. Her pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of the brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, the little tyke is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil bean.

I cut and pasted this blurb almost verbatim from the babycenter email that I've been getting. I just changed the gender, because (as most people know), I would prefer calling the unknown gender "her" - or preferably keep it as neutral as possible - until we know for sure what we are talking about. (Sorry Pops, I AM gender biased). Even though I've changed a lot to she/her, though, I have this gut feeling that I have a boy in me!

BY the way, pops and I decided that we probably know one thing for sure - the kid is going to have big eyes. Between him and me, that kid might come out with eyes the size of golf balls - because both of her parents' eyes are pretty d#mn large.

I just realized last night that after this thing comes, I 'm probably never gonna get a full night's sleep again...

No comments: