Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Our little lemon

Today there are a couple of important birthdays. Our little tyke has just turned 14 weeks old, and his/her cousin, Jackson, out in the big wide world, is one year old!!! Happy Birthday Jack!

I copied this picture from babycenter.com, which illustrates the size of our fetus. It's hard to believe that in only 10 short weeks, our little tadpole has come from being the size of a poppy seed (at 4 weeks) to now being the size of a lemon. He/she is 3 1/2 inches long now and weighs about a half ounce.

It is also apparently a big time for Mom (me!) now too. I have just entered the second trimester, when life is supposed to (emphasize "supposed to") get much much better. Just in time for Mother's Day (thanks little guy)... I have to admit that I don't feel nearly as queazy as I did several weeks ago; but I am still very turned off by surprising smells - like coffee - which I used to love. Also, I'm still waiting until I can be less tired. It is very VERY easy for me to sleep about 10 hours per night and then still want a nap during the day. It takes a lot of energy to grow a lemon! ; )

Anyways, it's good to know the baby is coming along just fine. In the past week I have had another ultrasound (this time successful), visited the geneticists, and had blood and urine tests. One more test is scheduled to see if I might be a carrier of Cystic Fibrosis -this will be conducted through yet another blood test. Then, in about four more weeks, we will have an amniocentesis. Man, this thing requires a lot of poking and prodding!!

I'm not someone inclined to prayer (Meditation is normally more my speed), but for the first time ever, I just want to ask anyone who is willing to say a quick prayer for the health of our baby!!! We want this lemon to grow into a full blown, healthy pumpkin within the next few months or so! Go baby go!

No comments: